DATA PROTECTION OFFICER
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
1. Lead the provision of independent, expert advice to the Council s Board on the General Data Protection Regulation, UK Data Protection legislation and wider privacy legislation requirements.
2. To fulfil the statutory role of the Data Protection Officer, the lead professional expert to advise, promote, secure Council-wide agreement to, and audit/ monitor compliance with privacy and data protection legislation. The role extends to safeguarding the Council s engagement with partners, contractors and other third parties.
3. Deputise for the Head of Information Governance, where appropriate.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Impartially advise Corporate Leadership Team and Information Asset Owners, using creativity, knowledge, and professional judgement, to identify and translate stated Data Protection legislative requirements into an effective and sustainable solutions, to facilitate the delivery of business compliance on privacy and data protection.
2. Network key decision-making and project initiation forums. Be engaged with services at all stages of projects from defining requirements and designing workable solutions, to implementation to advice on privacy by design.
3. Devise and deliver regular mandatory compliance activities and present to senior managers, via the corporate Information Governance Board, raising any areas of concern regarding practice, resource allocation and risk to the Council.
4. To lead direction, with appropriate ICT staff, business colleagues and suppliers to ensure robust council-wide and service based solutions for Council services compliance on complex and routine matters.
5. To manage, coordinate and develop the tasks of the Governance directorate.
PERSON SPECIFCATION/SELECTION CRITERIA
Data Protection legislation including GDPR
• Other legislation and regulatory regimes regarding privacy
• Good working knowledge of local government
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
• Experience in data protection and information governance
• Experience in writing high level reports for senior managers consumption
• Experience in effective escalation to achieve required outcomes
• Experience of effective liaison with senior managers
Please apply below