The HNI Corporation family of workplace and home furnishing brands are dedicated to enhancing the spaces where we live, work, and gather. We pride ourselves on fostering an environment where we make a positive impact on others; upholding our beliefs in integrity, inclusion and belonging.
What we need:
A Data Scientist to join our Decision Science team in Chicago!
As a member of the Decision Science team, you will play a crucial role in HNI's data science practice tackling cross-functional and high-profile business problems that add value and establish competitive advantages for HNI. You will support the development and definition of end-to-end data science processes that will enable the business to make data-driven decisions using different machine learning techniques, from proof-of-concept to deploying models in production.
This is a hybrid-position that will require candidates to spend part of their work collaborating face-to-face with team members and business unit partners. Our data scientist will work partly from home and partly from our showroom and offices in the Merchandise Mart in downtown Chicago.
What will you do:
- Use SQL, R & Python, and other data tools to analyze internal and external data in order to build predictive models and provide insights to business partners.
- Present highly technical information to business units not versed in such technicalities.
- Interpret data and analyze results using statistical techniques and provide on-going reports in a timely and professional manner.
- Develop and implement databases, data collection systems, data analytics, and other strategies that will provide efficient data and reporting solutions.
- Identify business trends from big data sources to enable faster and better decision making.
What you have:
What you're good at:
- 1+ years of advanced analytic/data science/machine learning experience
- MS/PhD in Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Engineering, or a related quantitative field
- Proven track record of end-to-end experience in model development, testing, implementation and performance tracking
- Hands-on knowledge of SQL, R, Python and Spark
- Familiarity with Linux and AWS/Azure
- Communication and the ability to act as a consultant to business leaders
- Using an analytical and creative approach to solving business questions and problems
- Working as part of a team
We look forward to hearing from you!
HNI Corporation (NYSE: HNI) is a manufacturer of workplace furnishings and building products, operating under two segments. The workplace furnishings segment is a leading global designer and provider of commercial furnishings, going to market under multiple unique brands. The residential building products segment is the nation's leading manufacturer and marketer of hearth products, which include a full array of gas, electric, wood, and pellet-burning fireplaces, inserts, stoves, facings, and accessories.
As one of the larger employers in Iowa, HNI Corporation was recognized in 2018, 2019, and 2020 for diversity of our Board of Directors and was named in 2020 and 2021 as one of America's Most Responsible Companies by Newsweek.
- We believe how we act today protects how we live tomorrow. Check out our 2020 CSR Report here:
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) are not just core beliefs at HNI - they are operational imperatives. We value each other's differences in experiences and ideas to solve problems and better serve our customers. Check out our DEI goals here:
We invite you to visit us at for more information.