Part-time (3 days per week)Up to £40,000 pro-rata + Flexible Hybrid Working + BenefitsAre you passionate about equality, diversity and inclusion? Do you want to help attract future leaders to work in the environmental sector? An exciting new opportunity is available for an experienced, people focussed individual to lead the delivery of the EDI strategy for an environmental charity with a mission to move the world beyond waste.To achieve our goal of moving the world beyond waste, CIWM needs support from an inclusive community with diverse voices, knowledge, skills, and perspectives. With this in mind, CIWM has developed an Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Strategy and is now seeking an EDI & Outreach Manager to lead its implementation.
Due to a strong appetite for change and a visible commitment to the EDI agenda we have created the exciting new role of EDI & Outreach Manager to facilitate and deliver the agreed EDI Strategy and Outreach objectives over the next 5 years.The successful candidate will be committed to
- Supporting the leadership and management team to create a positive, inclusive and equitable working culture
- Ensuring EDI is considered and furthered as part of all we do with our members, clients and stakeholders
- Informing our members and the wider sector on what they can do to support the creation of diverse and inclusive sector and to enrich our members sense of belonging
- Building relationships with the education sector to improve knowledge and understanding of CIWM and our sector to the next generation.
The ideal individual will be an excellent project manager, able to drive improvement and positive change through collaborative working and excellent stakeholder engagement.
Reporting to the Operations Director, the successful EDI & Outreach Manager will be the day-to-day organisational lead on all Equality, Diversity & Inclusion (EDI) matters at CIWM.Key Responsibilities
- Project manage the delivery of the EDI strategy including engaging with the EDI Sector Inclusion Committee - a sector wide steering group, encouraging participation and engagement from a cross-section of the employees, members and sector non-members
- Lead strategic EDI input into key organisational processes, such as recruitment and selection, a leadership framework and performance management appraisals
- Build and test positive action approaches to increase diversity and inclusion across the organisation, at all levels
- Research, apply and promote diversity initiatives and share best practice internally and externally both within the CIWM membership and across the waste and resource management sector
- Seek collaborations with strategic partners, liaise with community groups and other relevant external EDI organisations including attend, lead and/or develop local and regional meetings relating to the EDI agenda, networking appropriately
- Raise awareness of the profession and sector in schools, colleges, universities, and the wider community through work with other organisations in the sector, delivery of workshops, presentations and other activities and development of relationships with targeted schools, colleges and universities
- Co-ordinating / facilitating EDI training sessions; working with external learning providers where appropriate
- Responsible for measure and impact monitoring and reporting of EDI initiatives
- Provide advice, guidance and support on EDI issues. e.g., advising about the effects of discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender, race, religion and sexual orientation
- Acting as an advocate for and presenting the needs of Under Represented Groups e.g. members of ethnic minority groups, the LGBTQ+ community, and those affected by age or disability
- Preparing and delivering EDI presentations and recommendations internally and externally, including to the CIWM Trustee Board and other external stakeholders
- Develop systems for reporting any incidents of discrimination including responding to complaints and providing information on options for complainants
- Write, implement and review internal and external EDI policies
Skills & Experience
- Expertise in relation to EDI legislation, policy and practice, including but not limited to the Equality Act 2010 and an ability to maintain EDI knowledge
- Project management from business case through to benefits delivery with appropriate measurement and reporting of impact
- Self-starter, able to organise own work and balance priorities in order to meet deadlines
- Drive, enthusiasm and strong personal commitment to EDI
- Excellent listening skills and an ability to understand and empathise with people from a wide variety of backgrounds
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to adjust your approach to suit the audience
- Confident IT skills, particularly in Word, PowerPoint and online conferencing software such as Zoom
- Negotiation & Influencing skills with the ability to approach debate with an open mind, maturity and patience
- Ability to think strategically and innovatively and apply a systematic process driven approach to delivering initiatives
- Leading and motivating others on EDI issues
- The ability to liaise effectively with all levels of employees, members, trustees and senior leaders across the sector
- Ability to work with youths/students and to work within educational settings
- The ability to work autonomously using own judgement to make strategic and operational decisions and as part of a team
Offered initially on a 3-year fixed term contract basis and working mainly from home with a requirement for 2-4 days per month on-site at the Head Office in Northampton, this is a fantastic opportunity for a dynamic individual with the gravitas and confidence to work collaboratively to shape and deliver CIWM's EDI strategy.
Alongside a competitive salary and the option of flexible remote working as appropriate, a fantastic benefits package is on offer including health cover, contributory pension scheme, life insurance and income protection. Apply now!