Prestigious, independent book and magazine publisher are looking for an experienced Financial Controller to join their small, committed and creative team in West London. You will report to the Managing Director and with the help of the Finance Officer, you will be responsible for all aspects of financial and management accounting and to help make the right business decisions. You will need to be good at presenting the figures to non-accountants, but also adept at detailed analysis. They offer a blend of home and office working and will consider candidates that need more flexibility and want to work a four day week.
The Role - Financial Controller
- Preparation of monthly and year-end accounts.
- Oversight of purchase and sales ledgers and credit control.
- Preparation of year-end accounts and information for the annual audit.
- Presentation of financial results to the Management Board.
- Business planning, including supporting the annual budget process, monitoring of performance against budgets, and monitoring the performance of individual titles against forecast.
- Maintenance of financial systems and procedures.
- Ad hoc analytical reports on any aspect of the company s publishing to aid decision making.
- Managing relationships with banks, and account management to ensure sufficient funds are available to carry out the company s activities.
- Fulfilling accounting and reporting requirements to both internal and external bodies including HMRC.
- Maintaining accurate financial accounting records for the Publications arm and the Trust.
- Development of financial systems and procedures.
- Setting up of new financial management and reporting systems as required.
- The production of bi-annual author royalty statements and payment of royalties due.
The Person - Financial Controller
- You should be educated to degree level. A recognised professional accounting qualification is desirable (ACCA / CIMA / ACA)
- Substantial relevant experience, ideally in a field with some relevance to publishing
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong communication and team-working skills, with the ability to build good relations, both internally and externally
- A self-starter, capable of working independently
- Capable of rapid and accurate turn around on a high workload and multiple tasks
- Commitment to the vision, mission and values of one of the most independent-minded and prestigious literary publishers in the UK