Central Ohio Primary Care Physicians is seeking a Medical Assistant to join our Memory Assessment Center in Westerville, OH! This position plays a key role in patient care working with our providers in providing the best in patient care. This role will be part-time working first shift hours Wednesday's and Thursday's with a possible third day added.
The goal of the Memory Assessment Center (MAC) is to identify and diagnose formal cognitive impairment and/or dementia in order to develop a longitudinal care plan that optimizes the patient's medical care; provides education for the patient & caregiver(s) on the disease process; and helps families identify and acquire local resources to ensure the patient's safety, functionality, and emotional well-being.
The goal of this program is to favorably impact the following metrics:
- Accurate identification and diagnosis of dementia
- Inpatient utilization
- Outside specialist utilization for the neurocognitive diagnosis
- Early enrollment and proper engagement with COPC's Care Coordination (CC) and Comprehensive Home & Palliative Care (CHPC) Teams
The role of the medical assistant at the Memory Assessment Center (MAC) will be to provide administrative and clinical assistance to the MAC providers.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provides ongoing communication to interdisciplinary teammates via the EMR, secure text, etc
- Works on intake of new referrals to Memory Assessment- Assess new referrals & triage/ schedule provider visits
- Assist with entering orders for provider (DME, Home Health, Hospice, etc) & follow up to ensure closing referral loop
- Call patients to review labs, test results, or pass on relevant information
- Answer phone calls from patient/caregivers
- Participates in hands-on patient care (~15-20% of time) to support chronic disease management:
- Facilitate referrals for DME including gathering of paperwork
- Perform basic med reconciliation, update med lists
- Administrative tasks- Checking fax inbox, scanning/ indexing documents in patients' medical record, verify patient demographics
- Increases knowledge of best practices and clinical standards of care and incorporates knowledge into practice
- Documents in the electronic medical record in accordance with policies and guidelines
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Graduate of a Medical Assistant program
- Basic knowledge of immunizations, medications, and medical terminology.
- Knowledge of Electronic Health Records systems preferred.
- Must have proficient computer skills
Knowledge Skills & Abilities
- 3 Years experience working with patients, families, and care givers; Experience working with patients with memory concerns
- Experience using an electronic health record
- Understanding of medical terminology
- Experience working with providers and staff in an outpatient setting
- Customer Service oriented approach
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment
- Time Management skills
- Critical and systems thinker
- Decision making/ problem solving skills
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)