Thermal Hydraulic Analyst - Test Rig Scaling
Make a difference with a world class company
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Thermal Hydraulic Analyst, to work for Rolls-Royce SMR in Derby or Warrington on projects that will contribute to the global reduction of carbon emissions. This is a unique opportunity to be involved in the design project for a new nuclear power station and the establishment of a world class testing capability. Blueprint Recruitment, working with Rolls-Royce SMR and Morson RPO, is looking for a talented and ambitious engineer to join Rolls-Royce SMR's innovative and dynamic Test Capability Team.
About the Company:
Rolls-Royce SMR is a new business, specifically created to design, construct and deliver a new fleet of Small Modular Reactor power plants that will contribute to Net Zero carbon emissions globally. Created through Rolls-Royce's passion for engineering excellence and with world class investment, this is an exciting new business which expects to become a leading player in the future of energy.
About the Role:
The Thermal Hydraulic Analyst will be responsible for developing mathematical models in MATLAB (or similar) which replicate reactor thermal and hydraulic behaviour. These models will be used to quantify thermal hydraulic scaling distortions and select test rig scaling ratios.
The Development Engineering organisation itself has responsibilities for proving that the SMR power station design meets its objectives and requirements. This will encompass the area of nuclear engineering as well as the broader scope of delivering a major infrastructure project.
You will be a Chartered Engineer (or similar) and have a degree in Engineering, Physical Sciences, Mathematics or a related discipline. You will also have:
- Knowledge of fluid mechanics and thermodynamic fundamentals.
- Experience of developing mathematical models to replicate thermal hydraulic phenomena in MATLAB, Python or similar
- Knowledge of reactor plant thermal and hydraulic behaviour is desirable
- A willingness to challenge conventional thinking, with the desire to make a difference
Key Responsibilities of the Role will be:
- To work with the reactor performance and system design teams to understand the analysis methods used and the thermal hydraulic phenomena to be modelled.
- To develop mathematical models from first principles to replicate reactor thermal and hydraulic behaviour (in MATLAB, Python or similar).
- To explore the test rig design space, using mathematical models to quantify scaling distortions.
- To work collaboratively with the rig design team to ensure that an optimised set of scaling ratios are defined.
- To act as a technical representative for the assigned test rigs at technical and project reviews.
Benefits and Work Conditions:
- A highly competitive salary is on offer along with a performance related bonus.
- A range of flexible benefits are available to choose from, enabling you to create a bespoke package to suit your needs.
- Travel: the location of work can be either Derby or Warrington.
- Flexible working / hybrid and remote working patterns are available with agreement
- Working hours are 37.5 hrs per week with some additional hours as and when required.
- Rolls-Royce SMR are an equal opportunities employer.
To avoid missing out on this exciting opportunity, please contact Molly Brown on or quote . Alternatively, you can apply directly by clicking the 'Apply' option and following the instructions.